Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Backup Plan!! The Golden Bird:Part 1

Well most of you know I am trying to break into the world of children and young reader publishing. It is always wise to have a backup plan. So end of the month is this video game conference in Philly, which I plan to attend with portfolio in hand. The only problem is that the portfolio I used in NY will not work for the Gaming Industry. Most of my work needs to be more of the concept type. So over the next couple of weeks I will be working on putting together a body of work that reflects more of the concept gaming type. What is concept art? Well it is more ideas, brainstorming, sketches of a story. Say I suggest the idea of a log cabin in the woods...what comes to mind when I say that? Can you picture it? Now my job would be to draw it so everyone else can see what I am thinking.

With that being said, I was inspired by a book called The Skillful Huntsman, where a group of talented artist drew out concepts based upon a tale written by the Brothers Grimm. I am going to take another tale called The Golden Bird also by the Brothers Grimm to illustrate my concept skills. I have about two and a half weeks to see how far I can take this. Here are my first ideas: