Friday, March 30, 2007

Illustration: the ups and downs

www.KurtAspland.com.
I have now been involved with my illustration career for over seven years. I have spent over the years close to $15,000 in promotion, mailings and advertising. In all of that time I have made maybe half of that back. I have been told that my illustration style is good, marketable and unique. So what does one do?... keep going because I love it. Most of my income over the years has come from my Graphic Design www.Asplandesign.com. I very thankful for this. I have been able to support my family and their needs over the years. But, my real love is illustration. Being an illustrator is like being a musician. I am sure there are a lot of great musicians who just play because they love it, but never make enough on that alone to support themselves. So I will just take hope put it in the back of my mind and just keep doing what I love. Maybe someday I will at least break even. : )

No comments: